Although your divorce decree reflected your life at one time, that does mean it will always reflect what is going on in your life. Children grow up. People change jobs. What may have been sensible at the time of your divorce is no longer sensible now. Even if you and your ex-spouse agree on changing child support, child custody or alimony, these changes need to be reflected in your divorce decree. Courts do not take kindly to informal modifications of custody and support orders.

If you need to modify your divorce decree, it is important to work with a knowledgeable lawyer. I am attorney J. Melanie Slaughter. My Ocala-based law firm works with people across the region on a wide range of family law matters.

What Types Of Events Require Post-Divorce Modification?

In Florida, anyone who wants to modify the terms of their divorce decree must show there has been a substantial change in circumstances. Under Florida law, a substantial change in circumstances is something that is a material, permanent change that was not anticipated when the divorce was finalized. Substantial changes in circumstance could include:

  • Change in one or both parent’s income, including a new job, a promotion, or involuntary unemployment
  • When one parent moves a long distance away
  • Health insurance costs for children or parents
  • Remarriage of a spouse receiving alimony

This is not a complete list, and the important thing to understand is that courts look at modification on a case-by-case basis. If you want to modify your custody, child support or alimony arrangements, I will look carefully at the facts to determine whether you are a strong candidate. If you are, I will work with you to help you modify your divorce decree.

Get In Touch With My Law Firm Today

Call 352-789-6363 or complete my email form to set up a consultation.